Passed Senate 17-15 on 2/22/12
Passed Assembly 60-33 on 3/15/12
Signed by Walker on 4/5/12
Act 217 is just another unnecessary and politically motivated attack on women's health care access that comes during a time of great economic distress. This bill adds unnecessary and harmful barriers to women seeking abortion care:
- Allows an unacceptable intrusion into the doctor/patient relationship.
- Requires abortion providers to give patients inaccurate post-procedure instructions.
- Interferes with a doctor's ability to use his or her professional judgment to determine the appropriate medical care in each individual patient's unique circumstance.
- Will not improve counseling or informed consent.
- Interferes with continuity of care which is important for patients after an abortion procedure, especially when medically indicated.
- Is opposed by the medical community.